Monday, April 30, 2007

who knew...

I had no idea that this many people actually checked my blog regularly. I thought that by the time I had figured the whole situation out and posted the next blog many people would have yet to have even read my first one on the subject. Well apparently I thought wrong…and thought right at the same time. Let me explain...

When I wrote the first blog about term ending and the notion that I would most likely be changing my major things were still very up in the air. I have some outstanding faith mentors in my life that have always helped me process my thoughts and feelings through my faith. These talks always lead me to the realization that I have always had all the answers but had yet to receive the insight to know what to do. So when I was writing the initial blog I had finished talking to a few trusted individuals about the subject and had been reassured enough to know that in the end things would be more clear with some thinking, prayer, and time. As usual these people were right but I still didn’t know at the time. To avoid false information and the wrong rumor mills from starting I chose not to write what I had changed to until I knew for sure what it was.

The other reason was that I had yet to tell my parents that I wanted…strike that…needed to change my major. With my parent’s things are well…delicate to say the least. You have to plan specific topic talks to coincide with certain moments and levels of happiness. Some of you might not agree but it is very true. It didn’t go over the best but it could have gone over much worse. I will admit the my parents and I don't see “eye to eye” on many matter involving my future vocation or my road to it but I know that I must try to honor them at least to some degree while keeping honest to myself and honoring Gods plan.

Ok…so in short here it is. After a horrible stressful term of biology I knew I had to get into something that didn’t make me want to die at the thought of it. Something that I was passionate about, that I enjoyed reading about, would not get sickly stressed over (yes I do understand that all University courses cause stress to a degree…) and could do for the remaining years I had at the U of L. After much thinking, U of L course calendar checking, degree planning guide checking, rethinking, praying, I came to my final decision. Come fall I will switch out of my Biology/ Education major and switch into a religious studies major with a biology minor and I am stoked. Some people have advised me against this but when it comes down to it the reasons they present really are the reasons I am doing the degree. If I talk about that this blog will get far too long.

Any who the bubbles is home and she got a card today with this quote on it. I thought it was outstanding and really fit my feelings over the past year and weeks.

“Faith is risking what is for what is yet to be. It is taking small steps knowing they lead to bigger ones. Faith is holding on when you want to let go. It is letting go when you want to hold on. Faith is saying yes then everything else says no. It is believing all things are possible in the midst of impossibilities. Faith is looking beyond what is and trusting for what will be it is the presence of light in darkness, the presence of God in all.”
-Ellen. M. Cuorno

4 comments:

Erin said...

Sounds cool Skakes. I too switched from sciences to religious studies and my folks weren't that keen either. But I turned out okay....maybe....well, I'm employed and my parents haven't disowned me so that must be okay :-)

Anonymous said...

Now there's a warning for you - Erin switched majors and now she associates with Lutherans ... oh wait ... that's a good thing!

This 'new' major seems like a better fit for you (anything is better than biology!), and I'm not surprised that you have many people checking your blog (you reap what you sow)

And thanks for the pic - when did Bubbles shave her head?

markh.

Skakes said...

haha...bad flash it just looks that way!

Melinda said...

what's up moving to lethbridge.

(the faith quote -- was my move to lethbridge).

ha.

ps why do you have the word verification? i hate that.